Sunday, April 17, 2005

A Special Message from the New Yorker: Go see KUNG FU HUSTLE immediately!!

Just got back from seeing Kung Fu Hustle, a new film by writer/director/actor Steven Chow. Some of you may have gotten a copy of a region 1 DVD of one of his previous films, Shaolin Soccer, which I’ve heard is great, but haven’t gotten a chance to see yet.

I had not even seen a trailer for Kung Fu Hustle before I went in to see it, and knew very little about it. I had a vague concept that it was a melding of Asian hipster Kung Fu sensibilities and funny wacky characters. If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, I urge you not to, as I found that I enjoyed the film not knowing quite what to expect. I have since seen the trailer and found that it gave away some funny and neat scenes and sequences, as well as some important reveals about characters.

In all honesty I enjoyed this movie more than any of the recent stuff that’s been out there in the past six months. It’s just one of those movies that you leave the theatre with a grin plastered on your face. Again I don’t want to give any thing away about the movie, but it is a fun, original, funny fable that is immensely enjoyable to watch. It is not just for Kung Fu film fanatics, and has allure for anyone who likes a good comedy. As of right now I believe it’s only been released in New York and Los Angeles, but it is getting a wide release this Friday, April 22nd. I highly recommend it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God DAMMIT! I cannot tell you how much I want to see this movie. My roommate and I saw Shaolin Soccer a couple of months back, and April 8th we were all excited to go see it. Until of course we realized that that it was only opening in New York and LA. FUCKERS!!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Yeah, it sucks to live in the middle of nowhere, don't it? Just kiddin' - you should def go check it out though, it should be out there by tommorrow, so run to the nearest theatre fast as you can.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares