Monday, September 19, 2005

EMMY Vindication: LOST doesn't LOSE

I'd like to give a shout out and congratulations to LOST for taking home the Emmy for best drama, and best directing last night. It was nice that both Naveen Andrews and Terry O'Quinn were nominated for best supporting actor, and I think O'Quinn does a phenomenal job on the show, but I can't complain too much about William Shatner taking home the prize. (How insanely bizarre was his rendition of the Star Trek theme song with the professional opera singer? I did love the footage of Original Series flashing in the background though...)

LOST creators, J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Jeffrey Lieber must be thrilled at this honor and I am thrilled for them. Silly as it might sound when TV and movies that I respect and love are honored in venues like these, it feels like a personal victory for me. In the same way that people root for their favorite sports teams, and laugh and cry with their wins and losses, --I too get a little emotionally swept up in the successes of those that I admire. Sure winning isn't everything, and awards don't always reward those who deserve it. But no one can deny the excitement of looking at your "home team" or in my case favorite writer or director, as they hold up a golden trophy.

I really do think LOST is one of the more unique shows to come out of TV in a while. When its at its best, I think it eclipses anything I've seen on TV in the last five or six years. It espouses the ideals of science fiction at its best. Fusing together mysterious and extraordinary elements (polar bears, invisible monsters, pirate ships washed ashore) with an intriguing cast of characters whose secrets have been slowly revealed to us. It creates dramatic and moving human moments interwoven thematically with exciting adventures. What more could you ask from a TV show??

I hope that this show continues to grow, and that its success only emboldens its creators to push new creative limits. As the new season picks up this Wednesday, I look forward to discovering more about the secrets of the island, the survivors....and maybe, just maybe...a little bit of the mysteries within ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares