Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Island AKA Hollywood Screw Ups

I just finished reading the following article about the upcoming film, The Island on everybody's favorite geek website Aintitcoolnews . I feel certain that almost all of you must be familiar with the biggest red headed geek in the universe Harry Knowles. But just in case there is one of you out there who has an active sex life, check out the site, you will not be diappointed by its sheer unabashed geekiness.

Anyways, back to the point of this post. I remember The Island when it was but a wee spec script floating around the edges of Hollywood. In truth, it wasn't that long ago, maybe six, eight months. The script was written by a no name writer who had no representation and had endearingly included his home address on the title page. Then suddenly, in the way that things strangely happen in this town, there was suddenly "a buzz". Companies everywhere got a hold of the script, executives were reading it, and soon a bidding war ensued. In the end Steven Spielberg's company, Dreamworks purchased the film for around two million dollars. I read the script right after its purchase, and was definitely impressed. It's a science fiction film that takes place in the future and deals with the sociological impacts that cloning might have on society.

But then Michael Bay happened.

Though the article on Aint It Cool is optimistic about film director Michael Bay adding his blockbuster touch, while allowing for the "slow build" of the story - I ain't buyin' it. This was the man who was quoted by Entertainment Weekly as saying:

"It's wierd to say it's a movie about clones. I don't even like the word clones. It makes it sound really geeky. But the movie's not geeky in any way."



I know Ben, I know. I feel the same way too...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortuantely, Michael Bay's films usually make a bucketload of cash. I know nothing of The Island, but if the script leaves room for explosions, and said explosions can be put into the movie trailer, and if said can have 20-30 million dollar movie stars flying in front of them, then by God why wouldn't they have Michael Bay helm?

Bonus points, of course, if the film has any militaristic themes.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Yes, I know bucketloads of cash, undoubtedly. But it was smart! It could have been a good movie, it could have been a contender....

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the script writer sold out. If I ever sell a script, I will insist on a no-Bay clause in my contract.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares