Wednesday, May 31, 2006

LOST Season 2 Wrap Up Part II – Theory Talk

Even though I just posted a huge piece LOST and the season finale, I still didn’t address everything that I wanted too. So here, for some lighter fare, I’ve put forth some comments and theories.

1)The Hurley Bird – Was everyone as shocked as I was when the giant green parrot swooped down from a tree as Sawyer, Michael, Jack, Kate and Hurley made their way to the Others? And did the bird actually say Hurley’s name? I must have rewound this moment about six times on my TiVo and I still couldn’t figure out what was going on. As for the larger implications of this, I don’t really think there are any. This bird falls in line with the polar bear; some sort of funky zoological testing has occurred on this island. The question is, is it part of the Dharma Initiative? Or is it just another prop to make things appear as if the Dharma Initiative actually exists?

2)The Big Foot – Remember when Sayid, Jin and Sun were on the sail boat coasting around the perimeter of the island? They saw this classically sculptured enormous stone foot, with only four toes. Many of you have already pointed out the connection to Colossus, and the most famous of these was the Colossus of Rhodes, a tribute to the ancient Greek god of the sun, Helios. (The most well known myth about Helios is about his sun riding the sun chariot to his doom) There’s definitely some Greek mythology woven in here, between the foot and the name choice of Desmond’s lady, Penelope. As one talk backer aptly pointed out, Desmond could by viewed as a stand in for Ulysses, desperately trying to get home as he sailed the ocean. Whatever mythological and metaphorical implications the foot might have, the fact that it even exists is pretty huge. I can’t even begin to think how it ended up there…

3)The Walt Factor – There was so much going on in this two hour juggernaut, that I really didn’t even give much thought to Walt. There is still a lot of mystery surrounding what the Others did to him, as well as whatever special powers he might possess. I hope that even if he leaves the show (as the ending of the finale suggested that he might) that we will eventually learn the truth of his significance to the Others. An associate of mine, who shall be credited here as JBG, brought up some interesting points, weaving together clues that were scattered throughout the season:

“Remember in the Michael flashback episode, how Ms. Klugh asked him if Walt ever ‘appeared anywhere he wasn't supposed to?’ That was clearly an explanation of how he appeared to Shannon and Sayid. Remember how he (Walt) kept saying ‘don't push the button?’ “

I had completely forgotten about the fact that earlier on, survivors were having sightings of Walt. Is it possible that the boy is able to teleport? If so I wonder if once off the island, he would be able to teleport back… As for why Walt was telling them not to push the button, I’m uncertain. Clearly Walt knows something about the button that we don’t. But why would he urge them to not press the button and set free the electro-magnetic forces? Did the Others plant this message in his mind? If so, why would the Others want the button to remain unpressed. Wouldn’t they all be destroyed as well?

4) Jack, Sawyer and Kate – Seriously, anyone have any good theories on why they took these three? Do we think they are going to conduct some sort of bizarre behavioral experiment about males vying for female attention? Or is it much simpler. Does it have to do with how much they know about the island, and where they’ve been. I’m really clueless on this one.

14 Comments:

Blogger Scooter McGavin said...

When I watched it again, it did sounded like the bird said "Hurley" to me. I wonder if this has something to do with the whispers before The Others attacked (and I'm pretty sure I heard "Elizabeth" a couple times then).

As for Jack, Sawyer, and Kate, my best thoery is that all three were present when the group went after Michael in the middle of the season. The glaring hole is that Locke went along too, but maybe the fact that he wanted to go back could be the reason he wasn't choosen.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Coen Bros. positing that Walt was saying. "Don't. Push the button." rather than "Don't push the button." I think that his interpretation could be quite possible.


I didn't notice if the bird said "Hurley", but oddly the closed captioning had the bird saying "Hurley" rather than just squawking (sp?).

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Oh, I don't remember that Coen bros. post. Interesting. Did they really have the bird saying Hurley in closed captioning? That's strange. How did you even find that out.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Coen Bros. ever posted it, but rather told me when we were watching the show together. Sorry for the confusion.

My girlfriend went to Gallaudette University, a school primarily for the deaf, so she got used to watching tv with the closed caption on. You pick up on a lot of weird stuff that way including editted dialogue. On the season finale of the O.C., Seth got Summer a gift in an oversized crate. They decide to fool around in the crate, and the closed captioning (but not the spoken dialogue) had Seth uttering this great line to Summer: "Thank you for letting me in your box." I kid you not.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could it be Jack, Sawyer and Kate are up for contract negotiations? ha

5:49 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Haha, that would be funny if it was the reason...

9:42 AM  
Blogger RumorsDaily said...

That bird was awesome.

Libby seems to be more important than I would have otherwise guessed. Let's say she's actually Walt-esque and has some power to control things (even beyond death). That would explain the whispering (she was talking to Hurley, letting him know that she was with him) and it would explain the bird (again, talking to Hurley, trying to get him to pay attention).

The really neat part about that is, guess who tried to shoot the bird? Michael shot Libby once, and, if she was indeed the bird, or in control of the bird, he tried to shoot her again. Maybe Michael even had an inkling of it which made him more startled than the rest.

Also, it was her boat and she was with Hurley in the institution... that doesn't really fit in with the other two ideas, but it's clear that She's very central. I figured that she was done once she died... hopefully her ghost will stick around the island a little longer.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doorframe,
I like your idea of Libby's ghost inhabiting that bird. And the fun tie in of Michael trying to shoot her again.

BTW: While seeing X-Men 3 (which I really enjoyed contrary to everyone else) I saw the teaser for Snakes on a Plane. At first I didn't know that it was a trailer as it wasn't preceded by that usual green screen with the rating. It started with all those title cards and a voice over telling us what we would see at the theater this Summer and then said only one movie would have Snakes....On a Plane. (I don't know why I am decribing this to you, as you have probably seen it, and probably have it up.) As soon as "Snakes" appeared a good portion of the theater started hooting and hollering. This wasn't an LA crowd, but rather a bunch of teens in Long Beach. It seems like there is mucho buzz for this movie. The generally loud and excited audience reaction continued for the rest of the short trailer.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Rodenator, contrary to everyone else, I enjoyed XMEN 3 as well. People at the chinese were going crazy over the SOAP teaser... I am a bit surprised that New Line doesn't have a full length trailer out by now considering the buzz.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Coen Bros., you are right that it got a 54% approval rating and therefore more people liked it then didn't. Both my girlfriend and I liked it. My friend John D. liked it, but he also liked the Star Wars Prequels. My roommates and the guy who used to live in my room hated it, as did their friends. So it seems pretty 50 50 to me.

Talking to my roommate I kept saying that I was unfamiliar with the X Men mythology so I wouldn't notice any deviations from the comic book and therefore wouldn't be upset by them. He kept saying that it wasn't a good movie on its own merits, but kept pointing out how it was insconsistent with the comic. When I pointed this out to him, he then stated that it was inconsistent with the other movies. I only saw those movies once and that was when they were in the theater, so I didn't really notice that either.

I will say that the movie was a little on the rushed side, didn't reainvent the wheel, and was rather predictable, but I had fun with it. And it included one of my favorite movie lines in recent history. I'll leave that one up to you to find.

Back on topic. The bird was very hard to see and almost appeared see-through. Odd.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Yeah, my brothers hated it, as did everyone I went with.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The people on the list were the only on the island who are still alive who have seen things that weren't there (hallucinated, possibly). Hurley had his friend, Jack had his father, Kate had her horse, and I seem to remember Sawyer likewise having seen something er other.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Daddy Background said...

I don't watch "Lost" but you can add me to the 54% who enjoyed X-3.

Watched X-3 the same weekend as I saw United 93. Talk about your two ends of the entertainment spectrum.

United 93 was the better movie but not one where you'd come out and say you enjoyed watching it.

(Calling in an APB for the New Yorker)

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of interesting theories re: the season finale. Regarding the Kate, Jack, Sawyer thing, it may be simply because they are the primary leaders of the crash survivors... it may not be a super complicated thing.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares