Friday, April 01, 2005

FYI: Star Wars Toys on Parade

Not that I’m going or anything, but I just wanted to make sure all you geeks out there knew: Tonight Toys R Us across the nation are having a special Star Wars toy sale from midnight to 2 AM. At this time they will be releasing the Revenge of the Sith line of merchandise. Click here for more info. The word on the street is that there are also “exclusives” which will be available as of tonight at Walmart and Target. Walmart will have a special midnight door opening, while most Targets in the southern California area will open tomorrow morning at 8 AM. Apparently Toys R Us will be getting their exclusives next week.

Walmart will be offering the "early bird set" (apparently there was an early bird set in '77) four new figures which will only be available at their stores, and there will be an exclusive Darth Vader that is available only at Target. Each individual store will only be carrying 26 to 34 of these figures.

For what its worth, if you plan on going, I say go to Toys R Us and Target, as Walmart is from the dark side. (Not that Target and Toys R Us aren’t big companies too, but at least I KNOW about Walmart depriving their employees of health insurance….)


So go out there and get your toys boys!

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick A. Reed said...

Dear god, I don't believe I'm commenting on this... But old school geek that I am, I feel compelled to note: As in 1977, the early bird kit thing is just a piece of paper. An empty box. It's a presale certificate for figures that will be released around Christmas.

The story goes that in '77, Kenner never expected much exictement over the toys based on this crazy movie and thus didn't manufacture enough... So once they sold out, they offered a special voucher for a full set of figures. Becuase they wanted to cash in on the HUGE success of the film but had nothing ready to meet the demand.


This year, they decided to do a similar thing, and they're claiming it's "nostaligia". They're selling you figures that aren't manufactured yet, and sending 'em along later.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Holy Cow. I can honestly say that I did not know that about the "early bird" items. You've certainly out geeked me, and I appreciate your fact checking. Interesting stuff.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares