Monday, May 09, 2005

The Goblet of Fire

Holy Quidditch Playing Sorcerers, Batman! The teaser trailer for the fourth of the Harry Potter films, The Goblet of Fire, has finally arrived!

This hit the old Apple Quicktime on Saturday, and since seeing it yesterday, I’ve watched it about ten times over. It really is the perfect teaser for a sequel film. The trailer starts out with the familiar hints of the John Williams score to the stylized Warner Brothers logo and then as the music soars, cuts to a dream-like montage of images of the three main chracters, Harry, Hermione, and Ron, from all four of the films. There’s something almost touching about this moment, because we see just how much the little tykes have grown since the first film, HP and The Sorcerer’s Stone. Our little babies are all grown up!

The pace of the music and the cuts gets pacier, as we are introduced to the main thrust of this installment’s plot, - the Triwizard tournament, which will be taking place at Hogwarts. There were a couple of gorgeous looking shots that really struck me because they closely matched some of my own mental images from when I read the book. I love the glow cast by the blue lighting in the room that holds the goblet of fire, and I thought the creature design for the mermaid at the bottom of the lake was creepy and striking.

In my opinion the fourth book in the Harry Potter series is in the top two out of the five, so though I am a bit sad that Alfonso Cuaron will not be returning to lend his masterful visual poetry to the fourth film, (as he did with the third film HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban) I have hopes that director Mike Newell will cut the mustard.

If this trailer is any indication, it certainly looks like he will.

“Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.”
– Albus Dumbledore

4 Comments:

Blogger Elliot Cowan said...

I'm very much looking forward to this film after watching the preview.
I don't at all like the first two movies but the 3 is wonderful.
I wish they'd remake the first two using the director of the 3rd (Alphonso C???).
It was a shame to see he's not involved in the 3rd but the preview looks promising.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

The 3rd is wonderful, though I didn't dislike the first two. Cuaron did a great job with it and I too am sad he's not returning though he did say in an interview once he might return to do another. Though I think the new thing the producers are doing is to get a different director for each film.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Elliot Cowan said...

My big issue with the first two movies is asthetic.
The man who directed Mrs Doubtfire clearly has a history of directing family movies with lots of kids in them, but hardly has a eye for composition and imagery.
To me, when you are making a sci-fi, fantasy, historical movie, you need to nail the universe of that movie first (yes story is important too).
I feel the first two HP movies are actors wandering around sound stages, not characters inhabiting a world.
Perhaps this is too brief an explanation for what I'm on about but hopefully you get what I'm on about.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

I can understand what you say. But I still thought the first two looked good. Not nearly as good at the third, but still not bad.
Perhaps we should agree to disagree? You say tomayto and I say tomahto?

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares