Friday, June 24, 2005

AFI 100 Best Movie Quotes

I noticed that CNN.com posted up the recently released AFI 100 Best Movie Quotes . I used to take these AFI lists pretty seriously, and I know most of us have been scrambling around the past few years trying to knock off whatever films we might have missed from the AFI 100 top American movies.

But if you ask me, recently these AFI lists have gotten a little bit out of hand. First there was AFI’s 100 years, 100 movies, which was cool. But then came, AFI’s 100 years…100 stars, followed by AFI’s 100 years…100 Laughs, AFI 100 Years…100 Thrills, AFI’s 100 Years…100 Passions, AFI 100 Years…100 Heroes & Villains, and most recently AFI’s 100 years…100 Songs. That’s a heck of a lot of lists, and I think they are approaching the level of redundancy, if you look through them, you can see a lot of the same films popping up, over and over again.

In fact, several of the quotes in the AFI 100 list come from the same movies. Casablanca has six quotes up on there. Now I know many of you may want to slap me for saying so, but Casablanca, is in my opinion, well, --overrated. And I don’t know what kind of crowd those AFI folks run with, but when was the last time you heard somebody say “Play, it Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By’”. I’m all for recognizing the glory and importance of the older classic films – but I don’t think people often reference this quote from The Treasure of Sierra Madre which was released in 1948.

“Badges? We ain’t got no badges. We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!”

What sounds more familiar to me is:
“We don’t need to see any identification….These aren’t the droids we’re looking for. Move along.”

Now how can it be that Star Wars only got one quote into the list? { “May the force be with you.” Made it on there, but I think its ridiculous that it is the only one.} If this list is trying so hard to be prestigious, then riddle me this – how the hell did Jerry Maguire get on their twice?! I’ll give them “Show me the money.”, but “You had me at hello”? Can I barf now? This list is so half – assed it drives me nuts. The 19th most quoted movie quote is not “Made it ma! Top of the world!” from White Heat (1949). Thank goodness the remembered to put in Top Gun’s “I feel the need – the need for speed!” Ow!

In memoriam of the quotes that were left out, I will now list a few that I think should have made it on there…

“Snakes, why did it have to be snakes.” - Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Arc

“Do or do not. There is no try.” - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

“One point twenty one jigowatts!” – Back to the Future

“What the hell is a jigowatt?” – Back to the Future

“Come on Mr. Frodo. I can’t carry it for you…but I can carry you!” – Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

“I’ll be right here.” – E.T.

“They look like big strong hands don’t they? ….that’s what I always thought they were.” – The Neverending Story

“Stop your grinnin’ and drop your linen.” – Aliens

“Ah Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space.” - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Khan.
Not wanting to sound like an old fuddy, but your arguments are based on a certain age/genre bias.

The larger point is that those lists are intended to generate discussion and debate, and they do.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Scooter McGavin said...

I actually say "Badges..." quite frequently except I always thought it was from Blazing Saddles. And sadly I also still say "You had me at hello."

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE NEW YORKER FORGOT THE BEST QOUTE OF ALL. IT'S NEW BUT DESTINED TO BE A CLASSIC.
"WHAT'S THAT?"
"BACKUP."
YEAH!!!!!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Ok, I'll officially admit that obviously I am an ignorant young whippersnapper in regards to the badges quotes, as I seem to have gotten a lot of flack for that.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg your pardon, as it seems the issue has already been beaten to a pulp, but I, too, frequently use "we don't need no stinkin' badges." But it may mean something that my father is the only one who ever knows what I'm talking about.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Once again, I retract and apologize for my sheer and blatant ignorance regarding the "stinkin' badges" quote. Clearly, I need to open my ears and my heart a little more often.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares