Monday, October 31, 2005

The New Yorker bids all a Happy Halloween

Well, it's that time of year again. Where mischievous children dress up as ghouls and demand candy at doorsteps, and fall leaves rattle eerily down the pavement pushed on by a whispering wind.

In recent years I have often complained about the fact that Halloween for people in my specific age demographic is fairly lackluster. It is a holiday I love, but am no longer sure how to celebrate. Below is a proto-blog of mine that I wrote a couple years back on this spooky day. I emailed it to some friends to express my Halloween joys and frustrations. And now I share it with all of you...

what Halloween means to me: (ahem)
All Hallows eve, truly the best holiday ever invented, full of
everything that is good and crisp and fall and sweet and scary. I
mean candy AND scary movies -somebody up there in the great big blue
knew me too well.

I was the eighteen year old who still went trick or treating, I was
the one who would wear orange and black all day before I donned my
costume at night (I'm actually wearing a bright orange sweater, and
halloween socks today )

and now what? At twenty three, with little free time left to my
name, I have no tricks or treats up my sleeve -no really original
costume -no real plans of any sort. I don't live in a neighborhood
where there are lots of little kids, so I can't look foward to
passing on candy to little ones dressed in sheets and witch's hats.
And that makes me sad.

what does Halloween mean to me?
Halloween is one of the holidays that is inextricably linked to my
childhood. The way the moist inside of a pumpkin would smell when I
carved it -the last look I'd give in the mirror before heading out
the door with makeup all over my face making me look delightfully
deathly.

And there is nothing better than coming home -bag full of candy in
hand- counting my winnings on the rug -snuggling under a blanket
with hot apple cider as I watch someone get stabbed reapetedly in
the chest on TV by Michael Myers, Freddy, or some other monster.

Perhaps I can find my own fun tonight -in this devious city of Los
Angeles, where the innocence of a childhood is like a smoggy vision
one can barely make out -I can still conjure what it is I love so
much about today.

So go bob an apple, bake a Halloween cookie, eat some candy corn.
Enjoy being snug and warm in your home, as the ghouls and ghosts in
the world, both real and pretend, stalk the streets tonight. And
try to picture me dressed as a colonial era safari guide at age 17, surrounded by ten year olds.…It'll make you laugh -I promise.


But seriously guys. Do something. Go eat some candy. Rent Poltergeist. TiVo Scream. For God’s sake keep the Halloween spirit alive.

Just remember to check your closets before you go to sleep tonight...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the Pope this year. I was going to go as the current Pope and wear a NAZI armband to celebrate his illustrius career, but EVERYONE told me it was a bad idea. When I receive universal condemnation, I tend to accept it.

So I just went as a regular old Pope. But I like to think that I went as Pope Hilarius, widely noted as the funniest Pope in papal history.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Aw...that would have been genius!!! I remember when he was confirmed as the new pope, a co-worker of mine at the time said "I'm really glad it was him and not one of the guys from Africa or South America. Those would have been wrong choices." (I found this particularly Hilarius, being that she made this statement with no regard to my own ethnicity. hehehehe)

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is funny, considering your African heritage... I seem to remember something about a talisman...

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all this space dedicated to halloween, but nary a whisper of Diwali on 11/1 and Eid al-Fitr on 11/4?

*sigh*

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah New Yorker... what about Eid al-Fitr!? What are you, racist?

10:03 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Pay no attention to this anonymous fool. He just leaves mean comments on here to spite me.

Heh.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Daddy Background said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Daddy Background said...

Hi NY.

New to your Blog. Likin it.

Your Halloween post struck a chord because for the first time in decades, I was out for Halloween (not THAT kind of out). Had a great time not being a grown-up for a while.

I'm 42, that might be an important bit to know.

So there I am wandering out among the kiddies, holding a big Halloween bag, black pants, black trenchcoat, face painted white, dark under the eyes, blood coming out of my eyes and mouth. In character.

The neighbours moved this year, see, leaving my six-year-old Boy with no trick-or-treating companion. So Daddy went with him. He was a frog. We had fun together, the undead man and the frog. I especially liked it when people asked me if I was also looking for treats whereupon my dead gaze falls upon them and I intone, "No thanks, I already ate."

Hooray for Halloween.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Ha ha! That's awesome. I bet your son will never foget this Halloween either. I can't wait to find an excuse to go out and trick o treat again myself.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was Elvis. I kept up the Halloween tradition that I've maintained for the past eight years or so. Put on a ridiculous costume and go dance like an idiot. Quite pleasant. I went Pumpkin picking with my roommates as well. These pursuits will serve me quite well until I have another generation to warp.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was newyorkerinhollywood... my costume was an erudite review of a film trailer... the neighbors LOVED it...

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares