Friday, May 05, 2006

Lucas Redeemed!!

I just read an article on MSNBC this morning announcing that the original three Star Wars films are to be released on DVD in their original formats! That means no special edition hoo haa! Hooray!

Goodbye wormy looking baby Jabba, farewell Gredo shooting first, and welcome back original Jub-Jub ewok ending. I am thrilled beyond words. Up until now I’ve had to get by on DVD burns of the original laser disc editions that a friend of mine got off Ebay. The quality was passable, but it was disappointing to go without the original DVD cover art and special features. For a long time I held out and refused to buy the Star Wars Special Edition DVD box set when it was released in the fall of 2004. Finally this year, I received it as a gift, and resigned myself to the fact that the original films were never to be released in my lifetime. Others may have suspected that this was not true, but I had lost all hope. Lucas made it very clear that he held the final answer in the matter, and that he wasn’t about to budge

Some may complain that this is just another ploy on behalf of Lucasfilm to make more money, but I disagree. I think that finally things are being handled as they should have been all along. Whether or not the Special Editions should have ever been made is a separate issue. Now that the Special Editions do exist, it is only fair and just that both editions be availible to the public.

For me, the moments I’ll be most happy to see in crystal clear DVD format are the original songs of Jedi. The original tune that the band play’s in Jabba’s palace is way better than the loopy, pyschotically upbeat song that replaced it. The rousing Ewok song at the celebration in the end is also far better than the new age laser rock of the S.E. I’ll also be pleased to see Sebastian Shaw’s kindly spectral face next to Obi-Wan, as opposed to Hayden Christenson. I never understood why he changed that.

12 Comments:

Blogger jeremybgg said...

are you KIDDING ME?? you're actually claiming REDEMPTION for Lucas -- he's now made it compelling for me to GIVE HIM EVEN MORE MONEY -- i already bought the DVDs, now he gets MORE MONEY FROM ME and you're LAUDING HIM FOR IT?

sheesh, NYer, leave it to you to applaud good marketing. capitalist.

anyway, i probably won't buy them -- i have the originals on VHS. my kids can watch 'em the same way i did.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

As I said to someone else today this issue has caused me too much strife in the past for me to not see some glee right now. The bitterness will follow soon enough, I'm sure.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Well he did work on the Indy movies..

5:04 PM  
Blogger Patrick A. Reed said...

About damn time... Yub yub!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Hey! Leave Spielberg out of this!

9:24 PM  
Blogger RumorsDaily said...

How do you feel about this?

It's like it combines your life and my life.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Wow. That really does fuse our worlds...

2:09 AM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

It's also very, very nerdy...

2:11 AM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I'm not sure he can ever be completely redeemed at this point, but Sept. 12 will definitely be a red letter day for all us proud geeks

4:01 AM  
Blogger jeremybgg said...

blecch. i can't believe there was just a comparison between spielberg and bonds. i feel dirty. i need a shower.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

I don't think that Coppola and Lucas have lost their touch, I just think they have surrounded themselves with yes men, and are so powerful that they don't have any restrictions (which most filmmakers usually face when working within the studio system) --and so with this free reign, they are unsure of what to do with themselves. It's like telling a little kid they have six months of free time straight. After a while, they will end up just running around in circles.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Megaopolis will be amazing...

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares