Monday, March 07, 2005

To sue or not to sue? That is the question

Those of you who know me, know that Peter Jackson can do virtually no wrong in my book. Not only is he a ground breaking and revolutionary film maker, but he seems like a decent, down to earth, all around nice guy.

So it was with a bit of chagrin, that I read this article on cnn.com .
Peter Jackson is suing New Line Cinema over profits that he claims were wrongfully kept from him from the first film in his Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring. Now my first instinct was to feel a bit disappointed. Sure, everyone sues everyone these days, and Mickey Mouse and George Lucas have become as litigious as the rest of us. But Peter? My Pete? I would have put him above that. I mean, isn't it safe to assume that with all the money he has now, he could probably live comfortably for the rest of his days. Wouldn't it just be easier and more dignified to just let bygones be bygones, instead of getting into some nasty knock down, drag out fight with a Hollywood studio?

But then I got to thinking a little bit. I asked myself what I would truly do if I were in his position. If this was my money, I might say to myself "Hey, that extra $25 million that's sitting in the coffers of New Line, that could be going to the children. And if I win that law suit, that's where the money is going, to the children. Because Lord knows they need it more than some huge corporate entity." So in a way I think that is effectually worth fighting for. Big corporations win all the time, and if suing can be about taking a small piece of their massive profit, and sharing the love with the less fortunate, than that is a good thing.

So Peter, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one. I stand behind you once again. Because I do believe that you will put the money to better use than some large corporation will.

Viva La Revolucion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares