Friday, February 25, 2005

The Pop Culture Vault:
Volume 1- So bad its good OR I like it Ironically

So I was innocently eating lunch at my desk today, when two co-workers walked by singing:

"Who let the dogs out, woof woof woof woof woof, Who let the dog's out? woof woof woof woof woof!"

Remember that song? You know you do - although I must say that I had in fact forgotten that song existed, until I heard them singing it.

Originally released by the Baja Men on July 25th 2000 (egads almost five years ago!), a few months later it soared its way to the top of the billboard charts in the US and the UK, remaining in the top 100 for weeks on end. It became an anthem for sports fans and college kids everywhere blaring through stadiums and frat parties alike. And we all knew it had embedded itself in pop culture forever, when Jason Alexander's character made a reference to the song in the 2001 ill fated Farrelly Brother's comedy, Shallow Hal.



But I think the question we all need to ask ourselves, is why?

"I like it because its funny. I appreciate it ironically." - said my co-worker when asked why on God's green earth he was singing that song. I hear people, especially in LA, say "I like it ironically" all the time. I have been guilty of saying it myself. I have a Free Winona tank top that I claim to wear "ironically".

But wait a minute, what does that really mean? I looked up the word on Dictionary.com and found the following definitions for the word IRONIC:

1) humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"; "an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely"
2) characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is;
3) poignantly contrary to what was expected or intended

Ok so basically the phrase "I like it Ironically" only seems to work in the context of the following hypothesis. "The Baja Men wanted to make an important and serious statement about animal treatement in society, and instead ended up making a foolish pop song which 'ironically' seems to imply a militaristic attitude about incompetent animal care providers."

But see, I don't think the Baja Men were serious when they made this song. I'm sure they knew it was silly. Whether or not it is good silly, or bad silly is a matter of personal opinion it seems.

So the next time you hear someone say they like something ironically, do they really? Or are we all just trying to mask the fact that we have bad taste?

;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares