Wednesday, June 29, 2005

War of the Worlds: The Musical

Hello Kiddies!

As I sit in front of my computer and try to while away the hours until I go see Spielberg’s latest film at the historic Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, I’ve been listening to a little treat that I was let in on by an old geeky friend of mine.

If you go to warof theworlds.com you will discover a hidden treasure of the United Kingdom: The War of the Worlds Musical! Done completely in a 70’s Disco style, the score for this musical is back in the top ten of the UK billboard charts, soaring with newly resurgent popularity because of the release of Spielberg’s film.

Becoming a member of this website is free, though I don’t think that’s even necessary in order to hear a wide sampling of the score. I believe all you have to do is click on the upper right hand corner of the page, and click on “Launch Music Player”. The buffering can get a little wonky at times, but trust me, it’s worth it!

Be sure to look out for my review tomorrow of what is arguable the summer’s most highly anticipated summer blockbuster, Steven Spielberg’s The War of the Worlds. I grew up watching the 1953 version directed by Byron Haskin, which was a favorite of my father's when he was a kid. As a matter a fact, I just got off the phone wiht my father, who is still keeping the sci-fi torch alive and dragged my mother to the theatre to see WOTW tonight. Like father, like daughter I guess.

Harry Knowles of Aint It Cool began his review by saying:

“You’re not ready for this. I can state that with absolute certainty.”

I didn’t read much further down in his review because I want to avoid spoilers, but I’ve already stupidly geared myself up to believe Knowles’ assertion that this is one of Spielberg’s most emotionally riveting sci-fi film since Close Encounters.

Let the invasion begin!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I used to have the Jeff Wayne WOTW on vinyl (a now obsolete data delivery medium). The story is much closer to the original book and has no references to Tom, or Xenu, or Katie Holmes. The album had an insert with a bunch or artwork that gave me nightmares for ages.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I own the Jeff Wayne musical and I say with all seriousness - it's fantastic. I don't consider it to be a cheesy 70s relic, as would be most people's first inclination. It's great progressive rock along the lines of Yes or early Genesis. Personally, I love it.

Most of it is orchestral, although there are a few songs and accompanying narration. I like to think of it as a space-invasion themed "Peter and the Wolf."

9:51 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Wow vinyl? That's pretty cool. Creepy drawings always scared the crap out of me as a kid.

I would like to get a copy of the thing on CD...anyone know how? Do they sell it at regular record stores?

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait five days:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009MAPUO/qid=1120159253/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3116782-9999825?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares