Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The New Yorker proclaims: "Kong Featurette, my eye, I want the trailer!"

Yesterday, a new King Kong special featurette , titled "A Look Inside," was posted onto the irreplacable Apple Trailers website in High Definition format. (Thank Goodness these new high def trailers are here. No more little quicktime windows the size of my G-shock watch screen, running trailers.)

The featurette weaves together inteview footage with Peter Jackson and other cast members along with some shots from the film, some of which were not included in the teaser. The featurette also shows some neat before and after, on certain FX sequences. We first see scenes in their pre-vizualition stage on the computer and/or with actors on a green screen, followed by their final product, once they have been rendered and digitized. I've seen these sorts of comparisons before, though there were a couple here, like the shot of Naomi Watts swinging on the vine, that I thought were very impressive. Scattered throughout the two and a half minute piece, were also a couple images that I believe were new to the public, including a shot of Kong jumping off the building to swat a plane that I was particularly partial to.

But not too much of it feels very novel, especially if you’ve been catching Jackson’s daily production dairies on Kongisking.net .

What I want to know is, where the hell is the full length trailer for this “jammie” (as we use to say in NYC circa 1990). I know I've complained about it before, but really, the damn thing should have been out months ago. Also, I don’t know what it's like in other parts of the country, but I haven’t seen any billboards or posters up for this movie anywhere in LA LA land. Is the studio dropping the ball on the marketing here? What’s going on? Where is my real Kong trailer?! They think they can stave us off with some featurette, but they can’t. I've also heard an alarming rumor that the film might be pushed to Memorial Day because the FX won’t be finished in time, though I haven't put much stock in it. For Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, (and possibly even Return of the King) Jackson and WETA were still working on the film in post-production up until two weeks before the film was released in theatres. At that time, there was also some heresay, insinuating that the films were going to be pushed, but as history was to prove, it was all faulty info. I have faith in Jackson and his people, though I suppose I wouldn’t be so worried if I had seen a full length trailer by now…

Well, here’s to hoping it's only 42 days and counting!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

42 is a lucky number.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Kalinda said...

Is it now?

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares